Saturday, January 10, 2009

LDF

I just received 2 much appreciated cards from Cui and Mag, friends of mine in what I label as "long distance friendships (LDFs)".

LDF, unlike LDR ("long distance relationship"), works surprisingly well largely due to the lack of obligations (I
don't have to put up with them if I don't want to). My friendship with Cui and Mag exemplifies this.

Two summers ago, I flew 24 hours and stayed 1 month with Cui whom I have not seen for more than a year. On my part (hopefully on her's too), I did not feel any awkwardness associated with unfamiliarity or physical absence. The gaps in our lives apart from each other somehow seemed to fill themselves without much effort of both parties.


It was the same with Mag who returned to S'pore for a week after more than a year away. We lapsed naturally into our comfortable (expletives dominated!) companionship, talked about books and did what we love best, chilled.

The strange thing is I sometimes feel "closer" to my LDF friends than my stuck-here-in-S'pore friends. I guess we all make a greater effort to fulfil our "keep in touch" promises knowing how easy it is to slip away from each other's life.
And of course the best thing about LDFs is: they offer a good excuse to travel!


No comments: