Thursday, August 7, 2008

The End...sighh.

Stephenie Meyer will be thrilled to observe my demeanour as I bulldozered through her book. I was TENSE TENSE TENSE!! That was before I broke into happy tears at the end (pent up emotions as usual). I'll never forgive her if it did not have a happily-ever-after (unrealistic as it may be).

I feel quite blue and restless now, like a wonderful event has ended and I can only live vicariously through whatever memories I have of it (which probably explains why I took the wrong train back today. me take the wrong train??!)

The Twilight series hinges on 2 elements: danger and romance. What an intoxicating and sure win formula! There was enough danger in this last installment to keep my heart rate accelerating. I expected more bloodshed in the "final battle" but I'm more than happy that the author resolved everything intelligently and as peaceably as you can expect of vampires and werewolves.

And I'm glad that she did not dumb down the romance (which was what made Twilight so addictive) either. It's so much more believable, sweeter and sexual(!) now that Bella's an equal and not an infatuated teenage girl. Breaking Dawn is definitely not meant for younger readers. The content is surprisingly RA (vampires have really strong urges... and they never need to sleep), though not explicitly of course. I think her target audience has expanded to include ALL females not just teenagers which explains the more mature themes.

Ok I just read the 1-star reviews on Amazon.com and I agree with some of the observations that Bella seems stuck in the stereotype mother/wife role (that's what she chose and wanted btw). But I also agree with the 5-star reviews that this is afterall a fairytale so will everybody just chill and enjoy the book without arguing over pedophilia/early marriage/gender stereotypes and god knows what underlying messages people fish out?

I am a satisfied reader and a happy fan.


No comments: