Sunday, July 11, 2010

book hunt

The annual NLB book sale at Expo must be one of the largest crowd puller. I dropped by today, the last day and a few hours before closing, yet it was still very crowded. Didn't expect to find any good books at this late hour but was pleasantly surprised to spot a few. Noticed that non-fiction and children books out numbered adult fiction books by 70%!

NLB book sale is certainly not the place to pick up the newest titles but it's a good bet if you want to find those obscure, discontinued books. I think my best buy ever must be Madeleine L'Engle's "Dragons in the Water". I'm sure you can only find second hand copies on Amazon.

Speaking of which I bought a simplified biography of Madeleine L'Engle today. Am extremely delighted to read that her favourite author is... LM Montgomery! I mean they are BOTH my favouritest writers!

Bought a New England travel guide (all books at $2). Since the travel books are all dated (2006!), chose a series where the published date doesn't matter that much - a pictorial guide to the best driving trips in the region.

The last book I plucked from the bin is Imogen Edward Jones' "Tuscany for Beginners". It's chick lit mixed with a dash of Frances Mayes "Under the Tuscan Sun". Perfect for easy breezy reading on the MRT. Anyway I have high expectations from the author of the excellent Babylon series.

No comments: