Friday, October 12, 2007

Tech attack

Blog update has been infrequent because I (1) discovered the addictiveness of Facebook (2) am buried oceans deep in my IT Law research which coincidentally deals with blog content regulation. There's simply too much technology in my life these days.

Not that I'm anti-modernity/technology. Facebook is a gem for digging out skeletons in your closet. A friend who left for Texas in P2 actually found me and we started this "Oh my goodness it's been so long! Do you remember..." conversation. I smell a primary school reunion some time soon. And I just discovered that my dad's print subscription to the Economist allows me to access thousands of archived articles online which is TOTALLY cool for research.

Then again, the IT law presentation is a bitch cos less than 2 weeks before the presentation and after a consultation with the prof, we had to reformulate our topic. Hence 6 hours was spent in school today anally debating the meaning of every single word and sentence structure. But I have to admit that it's stimulating to have 2 dean-listers and a master student in my group.

The thing is, the more I research on how blog content is regulated, the more I fear that I'm blogging about inappropriate stuff. Laws on privacy, anonymity and free speech are seriously lacking here and I think we're not even constitutionally protected for free speech. So how can I be sure that my content falls within the OB markers (which I'm unaware of until I researched for this project)? And do you know that we can blog about racial and religious stuff so long as we do not incite the public? No I didn't and I will continue to be a good old citizen, play safe and abstain from the so called "taboo" topics.




No comments: