Monday, October 15, 2007

Windy heights

I love the smell of rain or rather, the smell that rain brings with it. The earthy, grassy scent of the natural flora. I imagine living in a meadow will smell like that. I wonder why such scents are only revealed when it rains (For an amazingly vivid and lush description of sensory pleasures, read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind).

Living on the highest floor sometimes feels like I'm living in a wind funnel cos we get so much wind blowing through the house (which is why I can smell the rain before it comes). And when it rains and we shut the windows, the howling outside intensifies. It gets quite creepy at night and I used to worry whether our house will get blown down. But since dust comes with the wind, we get alot of it too. Despite sweeping the floor everyday, I realize that battling dust is futile. Which is probably why I get so sneezy and hivey indoors.

No comments: