Saturday, May 30, 2009

NYC

Economy. People are still spending. Considering how I always have to queue at the female changing room and the cash registers, I can't think of another explanation.

New Yorkers. On my previous visit, I remember blogging about how I got scolded trice by New Yorkers on my first day there. Nothing of that sort happened this time. In fact, TR and I observed that we're becoming more polite with our "thank you-s", "you're welcome" and "hi-s" to reciprocate the greetings we receive. They're rather friendly. Several random people on the street volunteered to help us take pics when they see us trying taking the "da tou" pics. One gruff looking man lent me his member's card at the supermarket checkout counter. It's the small gestures that make our trip extra memorable.

Service staff in shops. (TR has alot to say about this.) They're sincerely willing to serve and extremely polite which TR thinks is the most crucial part. I notice that they call their customers "guests". Caveat: H&M salespeople are all unfriendly and rude. Same for the European ones.

Parks. One of the nicest thing about wandering around NYC is stumbling upon one of its many city parks. Some are handkerchiefs of green space while others are more spacious and complete with fountains and carousels. What I like best is that they have tons of benches and table for people to chill and we always manage to find a seat to rest!

Battery Park (at the very tip of Manhattan facing Liberty Island. Swamped with tourists.)



Byant Park (highly recommended by Cui. The NY Public library is located there. Very chillable.)

City Hall Park (tiny corridor of trees and benches. Nicer than it sounds.)



Washington Square Park (heart of NYU. One of the prettiest parks in my opinion.)


No comments: