Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Canadian Terra

6 am and the light was streaming in full blast through the wide windows. I lolled around on my inflatable air bed and tried to get into a warmer spot (crazy Cui had both aircons on when it was 7 degrees). Yeah it was that cold last night when I arrived. Crazy summer. Today's weather is a shocking 9 degrees! I feel frozen already (obviously did not pack warm clothes. Thought it was beach season).

on my bed in Cui's room

Neddy meets a new friend

It's 8 degrees outside now despite the high UV radiation. The sunlight is so misleading. Cui is brushing and blowing her hair for the millionth time and watching CNN now. She's still the same harum scarum, talkable girlfriend even though I've not seen her for 2 years. They met me at the airport yesterday (Cui, Andy and her friend Simon) with a rented Honda Civic. It was an exhilarating ride through night-time Toronto. Lights, lights, lights in the darkness. We took a spin through Uni of Toronto - beautiful castle-like buildings covered with ivy - and I swooned over the gorgeous architecture.

Free and easy holidays feel different from the usual guided tours. The fact that I'm lazing around now with a cup of milo instead of rushing around outside shows the pace my trip is heading towards. There's a fantastic view from our apt in downtown Toronto - the famed CN tower rising tall in front and a mix of modern and oldish offices. Can't wait to walk the cobblestone paths!

view from a window

I'm still reeling from the grandeur of the Alaskan mountain range which we flew over yesterday. It's like watching Planet Earth real time out of the plane's window. Alaska btw is not covered in snow nor is it very cold (12 degrees). The landscape there is more tundra than artic so you'll see alot of grassy plains and coniferous trees. But of course the mountains didn't disappoint.

aerial view of snow-capped mountains

Ok Cui has finished doing her eyes so we shall go catch some breakie now.


No comments: