Saturday, June 16, 2007

Domestic affairs

I'm trying not to think that I'll be home sweet home in 10 days. Depressing. Cui is still leaking all sort of things so we go out for a while and chill out indoors the rest of the time which is fine with me cos I'm strangely sleepy despite sufficient sleep. Toronto is finally shedding its winter leftover and we're getting maximum sunshine with cool breezes so it's bearable. I wandered across the street yesterday to a quaint bookshop (painted a sunny yellow. the floorboards creak charmingly!). The books are arranged on pretty green shelves and the owner has placed a couple of cosy arm chairs in the corners beside the windows. Was delighted to find an out of print Louisa May Alcott book!



I had hoped to experience some kind of independent (and poor, says Cui) student life here and I did. You have to do everything yourself here. Like the plumbing, cooking laundry and cleaning. Cui and the guys have to do all the chores whether they like it or not. When I see Cui slicing garlic and tomatoes so adroitly, I couldn't help but think that she has matured significantly from what I remembered. She's still spoilt (by Andy, don't deny!) and everything but I'm sure she will make a capital housewife. I always laugh at her worrying about what to cook for dinner and scolding us for dirtying the carpeted floor. It's endearing to see her acting so housewifey. Hanging around Cui and Andy is not as awkward as I expected cos Cui is always suaning him and we laugh hysterically while Andy looks mystified.

Plate of comforting luncheon meat and egg

Speaking of food, it's really expensive here especially imported Chinese goods. A small can of spiced pork costs CA$3.15! Cycled with Andy to Chinatown one evening shop for groceries. That was one time I appreciated Singapore's health checks and well stocked markets. The quality of food in Chinatown is appalling. You end up getting frozen food (our pomfrets) because it is cheaper and probably safer to eat. Eggs in a carton, such a common, taken for granted food in Singapore, have to be individually examined cos most are cracked or painted. Biscuits left on the shelf are usually expired and rotten apples are thrown in with the unblemished ones. Yikes. It was rather fun though trying to balance the shopping bags on my handlebars as we navigated the streets.

Bustling Chinatown

Domesticated Andy

We saw a street artist painting on the sidewalk outside Eaton Centre yesterday. He did an INCREDIBLE chalk copy of the Girl With The Pearl Earring (famous painting by Vermeer. read the book by Tracy Chevalier) and I was heartened to see that many Canadians supported him in spirit and in cash.


No comments: