Sunday, September 16, 2007

Changes

Had a rude shock when I visited my grandparents yesterday. Condos were shooting up everywhere. An intimidating condo of countless floors now stands where Times House used to. Even my favourite part of the Singapore River was blocked by a sprawling new development called "Tribeca" (I know the condo is inspired by NY's hip and funky district but is the condo really at the "triangle-below-canal"?) Another quiet jogging spot surrendered to consumerism.


Even Great World City has changed.
Barang Barang has been replaced by iwannagohome (please lock me in there for 1 night! totally fab, funky, quirky, pretty, glam, chic furniture and other frivolous lifestyle stuff store- a hipper and ex-er Ikea). The cinnamon bun store is now replaced by Da Paolo Gastronomia - gourmet Italian grocery/bakery - where choc frosted cupcakes go for $3.30. Well, not all changes are bad.

My grandma's cooking resembles those good old-fashioned kinds you read about in stories involving grandmas. It's amazing how she single-handedly whipped up a meal for 3 families. Here are some of my favs: fishmeat/carrots/black fungus/chestnut wrapped in popiah and beancurd skin, stewed mushrooms and fried egg with crab meat and carrots.



Grandpa's bday today. Can't help noticing that he looks older but still cheerful thankfully. We had dimsum buffet at
The Teahouse and now I'm paying for my surfeit.


Delighted with our simple gift.


Division of labour - quick hands to feed the hungry.


With mom. The half asleep look.


With the 3 oldest grandkids.


BH3 trying to be funny, again.

Family gatherings are always marked by food, food and more food. Here's another lunch at Japanese ramen house Beppu. We all look the same except for my bro's crown of glory (then) and the disappearance of it (now).

No comments: