Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September

September is a significant month. Obvious reasons aside, Sept signals the end of summer and welcomes autumn. It is also the start of a new school term. This is how I imagine Sept would look like if I could put a face to it:
Do you notice how songs always refer to September, not October or February? Like Greenday's
Wake me up when September ends or the final verse of Seal with a Kiss - "Oh let us make a pledge to meet in September.... and seal with a kiss."

And of course Sept 11 (11/9 not 9/11 as a friend pointed out impatiently). I'm surprised that nobody mentioned it during Aviation class today during our discussion on open skies policy. Come to think of it, a more liberalized industry means more security concerns. Bing was commenting on how the incident took place a day before our literature exam and all of us could think of nothing but the horrifying images.

I visited the WTC site but somehow under the sunny sky and rubbing shoulders with the endless stream of tourists, the feelings of terror and sadness were absent. All I saw was a fenced up up area which resembles, and probably is, a gigantic excavation pit. It only hit me when I saw the pictures displayed at the mini exhibition there. I can, then, almost feel the unbearable sadness of that fateful day.

Entrance to the Subway beside the WTC site


Work has begun on the Freedom Tower

1 comment:

bing said...

haha the song that i only know about september is the one from earth wind and fire.

"Do you remember the 21st night of September?
Love was changing the minds of pretenders
While chasing the clouds away

Ba de ya dancing in September.."

ok, i guess it's more appropriate if its on the 19th night of sept.