Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Unexpected

I like excitement but when something really happens I wish otherwise.

Returned from school at 7 p.m. Changed into jogging clothes at around 7.10 p.m. Heard my dad shouting from the other room that the building was shaking and he felt tremors (while sitting on his rockable armchair). I was like “no it isn’t shaking!” until I saw the wardrobe doors swaying. Dashed out and saw the dangling lights in the living room swaying precariously. Ran to the fish tank (my seismometer) and saw the water swishing around.

Earthquakes are no big fuss cos we’re usually at the outer circle of the shockwaves. But this time, it was alarming because of the intensity and duration of the vibrations (even now as I’m typing this, I keep imagining that the flat is suffering from after-shocks). My dad (who lacks any self-preservation instincts) finally agreed to get out of the flat with me. Decided to take only my handphone and keys (regretted not bringing money when I wanted to buy bubble tea).

Half the neighbourhood was rushing down the stairs too. The swayings were apparently substantial enough for people to evacuate (this has never happened before).We could hold a block party downstairs considering the number of sensible people who decided that safety is more important than reputation (many were clad in PJs or un-glam home clothes like me). Called my mom in Shenton Way (office was shaking too), friends and family around the island to check the situation there. Grandma complained of giddiness. Told her to GET OUT.

I really don’t understand Singaporeans. Don’t they have any sense? Why are so many people peering down from their corridors upstairs instead of heading down?? I think we are totally unprepared for earthquakes or any natural disaster for that matter. Complacency is the problem. Nobody expects anything to happen. Nobody knows what to do when something happens.

My house feels unsafe now. I refused to return (hey it’s the 11th floor) until I could be sure that the foundations are safe, there are no gas pipes leaking etc. So after pacing about for a while watching my excited neighbours chatter, I decided to call the Civil Defence. Dialed 100 and the operator gave me a number that was NOT IN USE. Debated and called 995. A telephone operator answered:

“Erm… yeah. The buildings should be safe lah. Maybe your town council will come and check soon. Why don’t you go upstairs? Then can watch the TV. ” Hello! I’m calling you so that I know I won’t get squished if I return upstairs

Defeated, I took the lift up (felt nervous) and called the Town Council. Had to check the Yellow Pages for the number (see my point about Singaporeans being unprepared). A maintenance guy answered. He said the Town Council’s closed but was there anything I need?

“Yeah I heard about the quakes. I received a few calls. It’s normal to feel afraid. Our HDB flats are safe. Usually no problem. This has happened a few times.”

“Yeah, I know. But it’s rather bad this time. Half my neighbourhood is downstairs.”

“Don’t worry. Our flats have good foundations. Our land very solid too. Where do you stay? HDB will come and check soon.”

“Ubi Ave 1, which btw, is built on soft rock and not bed rock like central Singapore.”

Channel NewsAsia reported two earthquakes, 8 on the Richter Scale, originating off the coast near Jarkata. Their epicenters were 39km below the sea near the legendary volcano – Krakatoa. Tsunami warnings ahead.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. You are such a civic minded dear. Miss you!

Wai Han said...

Haha now you know kiasee old me will not be ending my life any time soon. Miss you too!