Friday, February 22, 2008

Glorious Greeks

I must say that the ancient Greeks reign supreme in the department of art and culture. Who else would fastidiously carve motifs/reliefs on ordinary drinking vessels and a thigh guard?? Looking around me, I wonder what we - 21st century inhabitants - have contributed to the art/culture vault of the world.

TR and I went to the museum,
ostensibly to admire the Grecian artifacts but with the hidden agenda to spot Gill and a certain someone (at least that was my motive). Anyway the exhibition was rather small and I could not achieve my covert intentions and had to walk over to say hi.

The exterior of the Nat. Museum looks spiffily clean and whitewashed but at least it bears some resemblance to the un-restored museum of my memory.



The hypnotic electric chandeliers with different swing patterns. Quite cool.


Forced TR to pose with the objects from a magnetic wall installation at the entrance. This is the least unglam of all unglam pics haha.


Gill was disappointed with the exhibition cos the displayed objects were Louvre replicas and not the original stuff. I would imagine the original artifacts (hundreds of years old?) to be in a pretty bad state and doubt they can survive the trans-continental shipping or Singapore's weather though I'm sure we have first class humidity control.


I thought it strange that the Louvre boasts one of the finest Greek collection for shouldn't the Greeks claim their own heritage? Then I realised that museums are like certain antique collectors who are not satisfied with owning a small part of the world's history until they amass all Ming vases, Faberge eggs and Egyptian scarab beetles in the world.

Mutual fascination... he's an athlete holding a discus btw.


Now you know why the Greeks are cast in stone while our Singaporean males are not :D


The outdoor courtyard - a quiet place for tired feet with a nice backdrop for pictures.




No comments: